The SCAD Museum of Art opened in 2002, 12 years after SCAD took over the dilapidated Central of Georgia Railroad which was under threat of being razed. The front building , along MLK Jr. Blvd., is a ca. 1856 Greek Revival structure with an enormously long brick and iron train shed. The National Historic Landmark is the only surviving antebellum railroad complex in the country. In 2010, SCAD hired Sottile & Sottile and Lord Aeck & Sargent Architects to rehabilitate the rear train shed adding 65,000 square feet to the museum.
The museums most striking feature is an 86-foot tall steel and glass tower which shines as a lantern, welcoming visitors and students to the center.
The permanent collection includes drawings, painting, sculpture, photography, prints and fashion. The Walter O. Evans Center for African American Studies promotes research, understanding and appreciation of African American culture, art and literature. It is complemented by the André Leon Talley Gallery, named for the Vogue contributing editor and SCAD Board of Trustees member. Exhibits are changed regularly. One of the recent highlights was an exhibit of haute couture “The Little Black Dress” curated by André Leon Talley was so successful it is on tour in selected cities worldwide.
- Savannah gets taste of future at SCAD Fashion Show (savannahnow.com)
- 3D Printing Advances At SCAD (3dprintinginsider.com)